The Research Unit has been involved in a number of radiowave propagation and modelling projects since its inception in 1987 where it has continued to grow in both staff and output. Activities within the Radiowave Propagation Research Unit at the University of South Wales are directed at:
- Measurements of radiowave propagation on fixed and mobile terrestrial and satellite paths at frequencies above 1 GHz.
- Development of simplified and accurate prediction models required for the planning, design and installation of current and future radio systems.
- Investigation of the mutual interactive effects between mobile handsets and their human operators.
- Design and evaluation of novel antenna systems for third generation mobile handsets.
- Design of economical fade countermeasure schemes for mitigating the impact of propagation degradation on high capacity digital radio systems.
- Fundamental studies of the effects of atmospheric refractivity, hydrometers, and terrain features on radiowave propagation.
- Design and development of next generatopn WLAN personal and mobile radio systems
- Performance evaluation and modelling of broadband digitally modulated WLAN and mobile radio systems.
- Measurements and modelling of transmission and reflectivity properties of building materials.
Find out more about our projects.
Members of the research have published and presented a number of papers and are committed to high quality research in a competitive, collaborative and inspiring atmosphere, with the aim of ensuring that research contributions of the unit remain relevant to the changing needs of radio communications and information exchange of the wider community in the twenty-first century.
Areas of expertise:
- Measurements, channel modelling, RF predictions for indoor and outdoor environments*
- Broadband Fixed Wireless Access Systems
- Radiowave Propagation in and through vegetation at frequencies from 1 GHz to 65 GHz
- Channel sounding techniques
- MIMO and smart antennas
- Antenna design and measurements
- Software defined radio
The RPSD and the Telecommunication Division group runs the MSc Mobile and Satellite Communications.
For further information on research and post graduate registration please contact:
Dr. Akram Hammoudeh, Associate Head of School of Engineering, University of South Wales.
Telephone: +44 (0) 1443 482513
Fax: +44 (0) 1443 482541